ProQuest is a company that provides online databases for use in academic and commercial environments. ProQuest does not sell its services to individuals. Instead, its customers are libraries and large corporations.
ProQuest provides many large databases, including dissertations, old newspapers, women's studies, law, science and much more. The company is best known in genealogy circles for its HeritageQuest Online product.
HeritageQuest Online provides:
- U.S. Census records - actual images of all U.S. censuses from 1790 through 1930
- Books - digitized images of more than 20,000 family and local history books. Each word in every book is searchable.
- PERSI - an online list of titles of more than 1.6 million genealogy articles published ih the past 150+ years.
- Revolutionary War Era Pension & Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files. This database includes images of each hand-written application.
- Freedman's Bank Records - includes images of the records of the Freedman's Bank, in operation from 1865 through 1874. This bank was founded to serve African-Americans.
For more information, see HeritageQuestOnline.